(NEW YORK) — The longtime leader of the New York City Ballet is retiring in the midst of an investigation into accusations of sexual misconduct.
The New York Times reports Peter Martins wrote a letter to the company’s board of directors on Monday announcing his retirement.
The 71-year-old Martins told board members he continues to deny that he sexually harassed or abused members of the company.
City Ballet announced last month that Martins would take a leave of absence from the company and its School of American Ballet during an independent investigation. The company hired a law firm to conduct the investigation after receiving an anonymous letter accusing Martins of harassment.
Board chairman Charles Scharf has issued a statement thanking Martins for his contributions. But Scharf says the investigation is continuing.